Thursday 4 March 2010

A Load Of Old Cobblers!

At last (see what I've done there!) the vintage shoe lasts have arrived and I am so pleased with them that I just had to show them off.




I love the patina of old wood and have had a pair of vintage lasts displayed in my home for many years so I was really happy to source some for the shop.

They were made at a shoe machinery manufactures in Kettering and rescued from disused shoe factories some have been reworked to make doorstops.




The up stand of the doorstops is a vintage distaff. Distaffs were used in textile mills as a tool used in spinning. It is designed to hold the unspun fibers, keeping them untangled and thus easing the spinning process. It is most commonly used to hold flax, and sometimes wool, but can be used for any type of fiber. Fiber is wrapped around the distaff, and tied in place with a piece of ribbon or string.


Another vintage find has been these string and scissor holders.





These string holders are hand made from bobbins which were used in the textile mills of the Calder Valley near Manchester to hold thread prior to weaving. They are around 100 years old and have been reworked to make these individual string holders and come complete with string and scissors.

I have to confess that one of these has made its way into my kitchen as I can never find my string and scissors.


All of these are now available at http://www.homesanddreams.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. How have I not found you before??!! I live just down the road from Wentworth Garden Centre and feature it regularly in my blog!!! It looks wierd seeing it on someone elses blog. I'm off to take a good look around your blog now. xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, we love to hear what you have to say.